Work Info

Project : Road Work Constantineau Road
More Info

My Property


How can we help?



Need a burning permit? Nothing’s easier!

The Régie incendie des Monts (RIDM) makes online burning permit applications available. Just go to the RIDM website and fill out the online form. Then you can make your fire that abides by regulation that much more easily.

Be aware that it is mandatory to obtain a burning permit to avoid fire departments coming in the event of complaints from a citizen who sees smoke.
Even if the family bonfire has not been planned, it’s not a problem, you simply fill out the application online before lighting it, and it’s absolutely free! Note, however, that fires in homes, grills and barbecues do not require a permit. Burning permits are issued and valid for a period not exceeding 30 days following the date of issue.

Note that no fire may be lit within the boundaries of the shoreline strip and within 15 meters of the boundaries of the shoreline strip. Moreover, they must not harm the neighborhood by the release of smoke, volatile debris or soot otherwise it must be extinguished without delay. It is your responsibility to make sure that the flammability rating allows for an open fire. The information will always be mentioned on the RIDM website

Shoreline Strips

Print the flyer, here.

How About You, How Is It on Your Land?

Knowing the legal and administrative framework, but especially the environmental framework surrounding the restoration of a shoreline strip allows for a certain compliance.

The Context

Québec’s lakes and streams are home to 112 types of freshwater fish. In Québec, about 271 vertebrate species are associated with riparian environments, including 30 mammal species, more than half of the birds and three quarters of the amphibians and reptiles. Some animals spend their entire lives there, while others use the streams mainly for feeding, breeding or rearing the young. In addition, many of the 583 plant species identified as threatened, vulnerable or likely to be designated as such are associated with wetlands or riparian areas.

To be fully effective, the shoreline strip must have three layers of vegetation: the herbaceous plants primarily protect the soil surface, while the trees and shrubs provide more extensive and deeper protection. The parts of the plants above ground help to reduce the speed of the current and the erosive power of the water during floods.

In addition, the flexibility of shoreline shrubbery species allows them to survive in difficult conditions, in particular by adjusting to the damage caused by snow, ice or materials carried by water.

The By-law

It is therefore essential to protect the natural habitats of fish, mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and plant species associated with wetlands or riparian areas.

The Protection of Shorelines, Littoral Zones and Floodplains aims to protect lakes and rivers, safeguard the water resource and all the forms of life that depend on it.

It applies to development or maintenance works aimed at controlling vegetation within the 3 layers of vegetation (herbaceous, shrubs and trees), where lawn mowing and brushing are not permitted on the shoreline strip.

Municipal by-laws 2013-060 in Ivry-sur-le-Lac are as follows:

  • The obligation for residents to revegetate the shoreline strip for a distance of 5 meters from the high water mark.
  • The prohibition to maintain the grass less than fifteen meters from the shore.
  • The prohibition to undertake works on a distance of twenty meters from the high-water mark.
  • An opening on the lake limited to 5 meters.

How to Comply

What does all this mean for you? Well, under the Policy, residents must vegetate the banks by sowing or planting plants for anti-erosion, biodiversity or landscape purposes. The planting of shrubs or trees and the sowing of herbaceous plants of various ages and species help restore the shoreline to a natural state. If, moreover, plant species, indigenous in nature, are already present, it is better to let nature take its course.

List of preferred plants here.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the municipal team since the shoreline strips play a vital role in preserving our lake in excellent health!
Contact the Head of Urban Planning, Roads and the Environment

Fireplace Ash: The Perfect Fertilizer for Blue Algae!

Some of you may have heard of the benefits of using ashes from your home as fertilizer.

Nothing is truer! As the wood ash is rich in phosphorus, potash and trace elements, the Ministère de l’Agriculture, de la Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation recommends the use of these ashes as fertilizer on the soil.

The Link Between Blue-Green Algae or Cyanobacteria and Phosphorus

Cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae, are naturally present in our lakes. However, when the water warms up and is too rich in nutrients, these organisms proliferate (algal bloom) and can compromise any use of water bodies.

Why Not Use Ash as Fertilizer in Wetlands

Because the ashes are high in phosphorus, a chemical element essential for the growth of plants, the excessive intake of phosphorus and phosphates in the water causes a significant growth of the vegetation and therefore the proliferation of algae which ends up using all available resources, thereby asphyxiating pre-existing species.

Therefore, to avoid contaminating lakes and wetlands and eliminate the proliferation of algae, including blue-green algae or cyanobacteria, the government recommends the ban on fertilizer application near the shoreline. We therefore ask you not to use the ashes from the hearth to fertilize your shoreline strips.

Nonetheless, cold ashes (after +/- 4 weeks) can go into the brown bin.

Construction or Renovation of Docks

Certificate or permit required at all time!

It is widely recognized that renovations or the construction of new structures on the grounds require a building permit. Well, did you know it’s the same for docks?

Please note that a permit is always required for the installation of docks, rafts, trampolines, boat ramps and walkways, and for any types of renovation, large or small. A change in the size or location of a dock could result in it not conforming to the regulations in effect, it is also required to obtain a permit beforehand, so that the changes can be validated and ensure that they respect the regulations.

An application for a permit provided by the Municipality must be completed and sent to the Municipality for approval. It is also essential that the application be complete, which will speed up the process of issuing permits, in particular by submitting a detailed plan of the dock that includes its dimensions, its type of foundation and the type of wood used. We also need to know exactly where the boundary between your property and the neighbor’s is situated. Without this limit, it is impossible for the head of urban planning to validate compliance with Section 159 of the zoning by-law # 2013-060 and it will be impossible for him to issue a permit prior to obtaining this important information. Unfortunately, the superimposition of satellite images on the RCM’s graphic matrix is ​​not a precise way to validate the information because it is very imprecise.

Zoning By-law 2013-060 – Docks Section

The following standards currently apply throughout the territory of Ivry-sur-le-Lac:

  • If there is a raft or a launching ramp in addition to the dock, the sum of the areas of all these accessory equipments must not exceed 32.5m2;
  • Where a dock is equipped with a gangway, the area and length of the gangway shall be included in the calculation of the maximum size and length of 32.5m2;
  • The maximum size of a dock shall be 32.5m2 and the maximum length shall be 12 metres;
    All docks shall be located at a minimum distance of 3 metres from the waterward extension of the side lot lines;
  • Floating trampolines are treated in our by-law as rafts and therefore a permit is required for their installation, they cannot have a surface area of more than 13.4m2 and their surface area must be included in the maximum dock area of 32.5m2;
  • For the construction of structures in the shoreline or on the littoral (including docks, gangways, rafts and launching ramps) only non-polluting materials are authorized.

It is also important to ensure that the materials are not harmful to the environment, so avoid any polluting materials:


Means any metal not covered with a protective impermeable coating and susceptible to corrosion by contact with water or otherwise, as well as any concrete, cement or aggregate susceptible to disintegration by the combined action of water and wind, and any material of the same nature that may be harmful to the environment. Treated wood, used tires, toxic stains, and salvaged or corrosive materials that may release a contaminant are prohibited.

If the use of treated wood cannot be avoided, care must be taken to:

  • select wood treated with preservatives registered in Canada under the Pest Control Products Act for use in fresh, brackish or salt water, as appropriate;
  • use factory pressure treated wood that has completed the fastening process;
  • follow the manufacturer’s instructions;
  • use these materials on a limited basis;
  • carve wood pieces in a terrestrial environment;

Every permit implies a visit by the inspector who will visit the site at the end of the work to confirm that the location and size of the structures installed respect the information presented in the permit application. In the event that, during the course of the work for which a permit was issued, a person wishes to modify the authorized plans and specifications, he or she must notify the person in charge of the Municipality’s urban planning department as soon as possible, as it is certain that the latter will note this during his or her visit.

For more information on this topic, please contact the Head of Urban Planning, Roads and the Environment by email or by phone at extension 3702.

Roof Snow Removal

 According to the Régie du bâtiment du Québec, during the winter when the periods of thaw, rain and snow intermingle, this mixture causes an increase in the snow’s density, which becomes heavier than usual.

We remind you that the owner of a building is responsible for ensuring the safety of the people who resort to the premises.
To reduce the risk of collapsing roofs and carports, the Régie du bâtiment recommends that you clear the roofs and emergency exits of buildings, balconies, sheds, garages, etc.

However, it is advisable to call on specialists to plow your roofs when necessary. By entrusting this task to companies with appropriate methods and equipment, you avoid damaging the roof’s waterproof membrane. However, if you decide to clear the roof yourself, it is best to do so from the ground, using a roof scraper with a telescopic handle to prevent any risk of falling.

How to Tell if Your Roof May Collapse

In the majority of cases, precursors of a possible slump of the roof are visible.

For example, cracks may appear on interior walls or interior doors may become jammed. If such signs are noticed, do not hesitate to clear the roof, no matter how much snow is present.

For more information, we invite you to visit the Régie du bâtiment du Québec’s Web site 

Septic Tank

Is it Time to Empty It?

The By-law establishing a system for controlling the emptying of septic tanks on our territory provides that a septic tank must be emptied at least once every two years if the dwelling in question is a permanent residence and at least once every four years if it is a residence used on a seasonal basis.

In addition, once this is done, it is your responsibility to send proof of the completion of the work to the Municipality.

Furthermore, certain types of septic systems require yearly maintenance contracts, such as Ecoflo, Bionest, Enviro-Septic, etc., where it is also necessary to send a copy to the Municipality.

By mail:
601, chemin de la Gare
Ivry-sur-le-Lac (Québec) J8C 2Z8

By email:

Temporary Shelter

We wish to remind you that temporary winter shelters are only permitted between October 1st and May 1st of each year. Under Section 206 of the Zoning By-law 2013-060 of the Ivry-sur-le-Lac, after this date, they must be removed completely. This includes not only the canvas but its structure as well.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation!

Cadastral Reform (Cadastral Renovation)

What Is the Cadastre?

The cadastre is a public register in the form of a plan representing the property to which the land rights of the owners relate. Each property in the cadastre has a lot number indicating:

  • its graphic representation (lot shape, measurements and area); and
  • its position in relation to neighboring properties.

The cadastre is also useful for:

  • municipalities that use it to establish the property tax and the application of certain laws, including those on planning and urban development; and
  • the utilities that refer to it to install their networks (gas, electricity, telephone, etc.)

Why Renovate the Cadastre?

The Government of Québec is proceeding with the cadastral renovation because the register, produced in 1860, had become incomplete and imprecise.
Previously, owners were not required to register the part (s) of their property (s) they sold. Therefore, no less than 850,000 properties were not distinctly registered in the land register. In addition, 750,000 lots already represented contained anomalies such as inaccuracies or inconsistencies that affect the measurements or area shown on the plan.

This can result in significant expenses when homeowners wish to build, renovate, or sell their property or carry out other real estate transactions. This also causes problems for municipalities, notaries and land surveyors mandated by citizens.

The purpose of the cadastral renovation works is:

  • to find and correct anomalies;
  • to integrate without modification the lots correctly represented;
  • to identify and distinctly represent all properties that are not registered;
  • to simplify the representation of fragmentation by grouping parcels forming the same property under a single lot number; and
  • to produce the cadastral renovation plan in electronic version.


What Role do Land Surveyors Play?

Land surveyors are the only experts authorized to carry out work related to the cadastre. The Ministère de l’Énergie et des Ressources naturelles awards them contracts to renovate cadastral plans throughout Québec.

In Ivry-sur-le-Lac, the firm Rado, Corbeil and Généreux was mandated to renovate the land register.

Why is Homeowner Assistance Essential?

By working with the Ministry, the owners contribute to an accurate representation of their property on the new cadastral plan.

A misrepresentation of a property in the cadastral plan can lead to delays or other inconveniences when selling the property.

To collaborate in an optimal way, the owners affected by the cadastral renovation exercise are invited to transmit – at the appropriate moment – a copy of any private document that they possess pertaining to their property (a certificate of location, a land surveyor’s report or a technical description). They are also invited to participate in a meeting with the firm of land surveyors who carries out the work. This meeting, which is under the Ministry’s supervision, aims to consult and comment on the new cadastral plan on which the properties are represented.

The Process and the Important Steps

To produce the renovated cadastral plan, Rado, Corbeil and Généreux must go through various stages over a period of approximately two years:

  • In July 2017, an initial letter was sent to all citizens inviting them to send the land surveyor a copy of any private document they have pertaining to their property (a certificate of location, a land surveyor’s report or a technical description);
  • In winter or spring 2021, citizens will be invited to participate in a meeting with the land surveyors’ firm. This will allow citizens to consult and comment on the new cadastral plan on which the properties are represented;
  • In summer or fall 2021, the new plan will be filed and citizens may, if they deem it necessary, request a review;
  • Following a request for review, if necessary, a notice of change will be issued confirming the changes made.

Contact details of the service provider mentioned on the notice sent to the owners:
Mr. Jean Godon, Land Surveyor
Consortium ad hoc Rado, Corbeil & Généreux, arpenteurs-géomètres Inc.
Jean Godon et Beaudry, Jarry et Garneau Inc.
1332, Sainte-Adèle blvd, suite 150
Sainte-Adèle (Québec) J8B 2N5
Telephone: (450) 229-7277 or, toll free 1 866 352-7277
Fax: (450) 229-7339
Email: reno@geomatique.net
* Information from the Ministère de l’Énergie et Ressources naturelles’ web site

Short Term Rentals

The increase in the sharing economy has seen a proliferation of websites listing the availability of cottages for short-term rental (31 days or less). Therefore, some homeowners believe it may be worthwhile to approach the Québec government to obtain a tourist accommodation classification certificate in order to earn a few dollars by renting properties that are not often used.

However, before proceeding, it is your responsibility to ensure that the municipal zoning by-law allows for it. In Ivry-sur-le-Lac, only zones C2-105, C2-106 and C2-108 allow the exercise of commercial use of tourist-type accommodation, more commonly known as short term rentals. Also note that a certificate of occupation is required for the addition or a change of use.

If necessary, the municipal team can inform you about the by-laws in force in this regard. Do not hesitate to contact the Head of Urban Planning, Roads and the Environment by email or by phone at extension 3702

Water Analysis

How often should I test my well water?

The Context

In the Laurentians, approximately 150,000 citizens or approximately 25% obtain water from individual wells. However, only one in five homeowners conducts tests to ensure that the water is not contaminated by microbes or chemicals. This situation may represent a health risk since studies in Quebec have shown that just over 8% of private wells demonstrate the presence of Escherichia coli, a bacterium responsible for gastroenteritis, which may be severe on occasion if ingested.

Frequency of Sampling

To prevent health problems caused by microbiological and chemical contaminants, the Centre integer de santé et de services sociaux (CISSS) des Laurentides recommends that well owners analyze the quality of drinking water

  • At least twice a year for microbiological contaminants, in the spring and fall (after the thaw period or heavy rains);
  • At least once for chemical contaminants;
  • If the water has changed appearance, taste or odor; or
  • If work was done at or near the well.

Where to Have the Water Analyzed?

You can have your water analyzed at a laboratory accredited by the Ministère de l’environnement (MDDELCC). The complete list can be found at the following address:  http://www.ceaeq.gouv.qc.ca/accreditation/PALA/lla03.htm

More specifically, in the Laurentians, there are two companies that are accredited to carry out the analysis of microbiological and chemical contaminants in drinking water. To help you, their contact information is listed below:

H2Lab Inc.
180, Norbert-Morin blvd
Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts (Québec) J8C 2W5
Telephone: (819) 326-8690

Débit Lab Inc.
283, des Hauteurs blvd
Saint-Jérôme (Québec) J7Y 5E7
Telephone: (450) 438-6965

If you suspect that you are experiencing health problems related to the quality of your water, contact Info-Santé at 811.


Are you an owner-occupier of a rural residence that requires major repairs and your household’s income is limited?

The RénoRégion program aims to help low or moderate-income homeowners living in rural areas to perform work to correct major defects in their homes.

The residence’s carrying value, excluding the value of the land, must not exceed the maximum value established by the municipality, or $115,000.

How Can I Apply for this Financial Assistance?

  1. First, your eligibility for the program must be determined and you will be advised should further documents be required to build your file.
  2. Thereafter, an accredited inspector will visit the building to list the eligible work that will be recorded in an estimate.
  3. On the basis of this estimate, you will need to obtain one or more estimates from contractors with an appropriate licence from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec and send the estimate of the contractor, who will carry out the work, to your municipality.
  4. The RCM will complete your file and, if everything is in order, will send you an eligibility certificate indicating the amount to which you will be entitled at the end of the work if all of the program conditions are met. This document will also allow the owner to begin the work.
  5. Once the work is complete, the accredited inspector will verify that it has been completed in accordance with the specifications and will report to the RCM. Upon approval, the amount to which you are entitled will be paid.

Who Can Benefit from the Program?

You are the owner-occupant of a dwelling that is located in Ivry-sur-le-Lac and which has one or more major defects.
Your household’s annual income does not exceed the maximum allowable income. For the maximum income eligible for the territory of Ivry-sur-le-Lac, please consult the information sites below.

Help Offered

The RénoRégion program provides a grant that is paid only when the work is completed.

This grant may be up to 95% of the cost of the eligible work, but not more than $12,000.

Eligible Work

The dwelling must require work of at least $2,000 to correct one or more major defects involving at least one of the following:

  • exterior walls
  • openings
  • protrusions
  • roof
  • structure
  • electricity
  • plumbing
  • heating
  • thermal insulation

You will find more information at the following site: www.habitation.gouv.qc.ca/programme/objectif/en_milieu_rural/programme/renoregion.html

For more information on the RénoRégion program, please contact the Laurentians RCM, which administers this regional program:

By telephone: (819) 326 0666 extension 1060

By email: : cseguin@mrclaurentides.qc.ca 

If you wish to obtain additional information, you can contact the SHQ:

By telephone: 1 800 463-4315, or

By email: : infoshq@shq.gouv.qc.ca

You can also obtain general information at the Services Québec office nearest you.